If you’re struggling to manage your money and debts, you should consider getting in touch with a reputable credit counseling organization. Their certified and trained credit counselors will advise you on managing your finances, help you develop a budget, and often offer free educational materials and workshops.
The Federal Trade Commission (FTC) provides helpful facts on the subject at“Choosing A Credit Counselor”.
How to Avoid Overdraft and Bounced-Check Fees: Five Simple Suggestions
Overdrafts and bounced checks can be embarrassing and inconvenient, not to mention costly. That’s why RiverHills Bank is pleased to offer a few helpful tips and make you aware of automated mechanisms for preventing these inopportune financial setbacks.
- Actively monitor your checking account – Record all of your account transactions; know the current balance in your account. Make sure you have enough money in your account to cover purchases and other withdrawals.
- Use a telephone, computer or mobile device to keep track of your checking account balance – Take advantage of our Free 24-Hour Touch-Tone Banking system to check the balance in your account at any time. Simply call 601-636-5221 in Vicksburg or 601-437-3400 in Port Gibson. You may also use Online Banking to monitor your current account balance. Online Banking is available at no additional cost to RiverHills Bank customers with a checking or savings account. Stop by any of our locations to sign-up today.
- Set-up an electronic alert notifying you of a low checking account balance – You can set up automated alerts in Online Banking that immediately let you know when your checking account balance drops below a preset amount. These helpful email alerts function much like a low fuel light on an automobile.
- Establish an auto-transfer of funds triggered when your checking account dips below a pre-determined, minimum balance – Pre-arrange for an automatic transfer of a preset amount of funds from another RiverHills Bank account (checking or savings) into your checking account when its balance falls below a certain amount. This may be accomplished by visiting any RiverHills Bank location.
- Secure an overdraft line of credit – Apply for an overdraft line of credit at any RiverHills Bank location that will be activated automatically in the event of an overdraft. Normal credit underwriting guidelines apply.
Please consider employing one or more of these practical suggestions. To obtain additional information on protecting yourself from overdraft and bounced check fees, contact us by phone or visit any of our branch offices.Protecting yourself from overdraft and bounced check fees Guide to preventing and managing overdraft fees (PDF)